Journeyman or Apprentice Instrumentation (Red Deer)
Journeyman and Apprentice Instrument Technicians will install, maintain and repair measuring, and control instruments as well as a variety of equipment used in oilfield, industrial and commercial processing. The technicians will work with a wide variety of pneumatic, electronic and microcomputer equipment used to measure and control variables such as pressure, flow, temperature, level, motion, force, and chemical composition. This position will report directly to the Team Lead and/or Branch Area Manager dependent upon location with the organization.
• Troubleshoot various equipment and systems
• Perform preventative maintenance on instrumentation (calibration, replacement and tests as required); maintain field instrument records and standards in conjunction with company requirements as well as Provincial and Federal legislation
• Review and apply a continuous improvement mindset to safe work practices, procedures and standards to ensure safe and reliable work execution
• Inspect and test operation of instruments and systems using pneumatic, electrical and electronic testing devices and precision measuring instruments to diagnose faults
• Repair and adjust system components (sensors, transmitters, programmable logic controllers, etc.); remove and replace defective parts
• Calibrate components and instruments according to manufacturers’ specifications
• Use hand tools, power tools, precision measuring and testing instruments
• Strong familiarity with construction codes, installation practices and tubing installation
Special consideration will be given for the following:
• PLC and HMI Programming Platforms
o Very knowledgeable in the use of software applications such as SCADA, Do-more, Allen Bradley RSLogix, Siemens S7, Omron CX Programmer and associated HMI software
• Mapping of I/O, creating tags, writing logic from scratch and implementing. Testing, debugging and commissioning of automation systems.
• Integration of various types of machine equipment and controls depending on project scope and customer requirements
• Implementation and configuration of systems including:
o Industrial/communication networks, remote I/O bus systems, instrumentation and measurement systems
• Having the ability to respond knowledgably and professionally to inquiries, questions, concerns from individual clients, employees and departments involving technical support for product, applications and software.
• Experience with various relational databases and data sources and incorporating them into applications (SQL Server, MS Access, XML, etc.)
• Ability to provide examples of pre/post program documentation (flow diagrams, user manuals etc.)
Functional areas reporting to this position are:
• This position has no direct reports however is responsible for training and mentoring of apprentice(s).
Essential Skills, Competencies and Experience:
• Industrial Instrumentation service, maintenance and construction experience
• Experience working within industrial, oil & gas, and commercial facilities
• Excellent communication skills – written, verbal and electronic
• Read and interpret electrical, mechanical, and architectural drawings as well as governing code(s), provincial, federal legislation and client(s) specification. Including but not limited to ABSA, CSA, NFPA.
• Install, replace, maintain and repair instrument and control systems and related equipment.
• Maintain a high level of safety awareness and adherence
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications Outlook, Word, Excel
• Comfortable working in all weather conditions, capable of lifting 25Kg
• Customer service focused on both written and verbal comprehension
• Ability to work with all levels of employees and management both internally and externally
• The ability to pay careful attention to details.
• Strong mathematical, scientific, mechanical and logical reasoning abilities.
• The ability and desire to keep up-to-date with technological developments in the field.
• Thorough understanding of instrumentation requirements and applications.
• Capable of troubleshooting; dealing with customer requirements and stresses as well as understanding manufacturer and product limitations.
Minimum Education requirements:
• Registered / Certified Journeyman or Apprentice in Instrumentation
• High School Diploma or GED required, additional accreditation will be considered an asset
• Valid H2S, CSTS-09, First Aid, OSSA Fall Protection and Confined Space certificates
• Valid Class 5 driver’s license and reliable transportation
Please reply to this ad with resume with the position you are applying for.