Apprentice Machinist (Red Deer 6 Month Term)
This is a 6 month full-time term contract role running from May to October.
This is a quality orientated position with Kings Energy Services, Manufacturing division. The candidate will be responsible for operating and maintaining a variety of machines to perform assigned tasks. They will produce or repair precision parts using both manual and automated equipment and accurate measurements. Applying knowledge of mechanics, mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures will be essential to this position.
• Take direction and fulfil responsibilities from the Manufacturing Coordinator and Manufacturing Manager
• Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and vernier calipers.
• Machine parts to specifications using machine tools such as lathes, milling machines or grinders.
• Measure, examine and test completed units in order to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments such as micrometers.
• Set up, adjust, and operate all of the basic machine tools and many specialized or advanced variation tools in order to perform precision machining operations.
• Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories and materials onto machines.
• Operate both manual and CNC machines.
• Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.
• Study sample parts, blueprints, drawings and engineering information in order to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate products and determine product dimensions and tolerances.
• Select the appropriate tools, machines and materials to be used in preparation of machinery work.
• Observe and listen to operating machines or equipment in order to diagnose machine malfunctions and to determine need for adjustments or repairs.
• Clean and lubricate machines, tools and equipment in order to remove grease, rust, stains and foreign matter.
• Program computers and electronic instruments such as numerically controlled machine tools.
• Initiate Nonconformance reports where product or services do not meet requirements
• Demonstrate and emphasize safety conscience attitude
Skills Training and Competencies:
• Must be able to lift 70lbs.
• Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints and to manage time effectively and efficiently.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively work within complex, fast-moving work environment under minimal supervision.
• Ability to be challenged and to strive for development within the position with the foresight and commitment to advance within the company.
• Participation in Safety Program and Quality Assurance Program
• Strong computer skills; MS office suite proficient with an ability to learn new programs
• Maintain high level of confidentiality and accuracy for data entry and paperwork; including company sensitive information.
• Strong quantitative and analytical skills
• Strong problem solving, communication, and organizational skills
• Ability to work as a positive contributing member within team environment.
• Willingness to take hands on approach in developing systems and procedures.
• Functional understanding of imperial and metric systems.
• Familiar with reading blueprints, schematics and manuals
• Experience in using and/or programming manual, semi-automated or automated tools and machines (lathes, grinders etc.)
• Understanding of properties of metal and other materials
Minimum Educational and Experience Requirements:
• 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Year Apprentice looking to build their knowledge and skill preferred
• Previous Mazak CNC Lathe and Mill experience is an asset